Relocating to a New Home
Relocating can be an exciting or scary experience because it involves change, adjustments, and money. This checklist of action items and considerations will help you do what you need to to make relocating as smooth and enjoyable as possible.
Mail – Change of address
- Leave a sheet of labels with your new address at the home you are leaving. This will make it easy for the new residents to forward your mail.
- Register your change of address with the United States Postal Service ahead of time. They allow you to set the date you want them to begin forwarding your mail. Changing your address now will ensure you don't forget this important step during the excitement of your move.
- Update your address with companies that send you bills and other important mail. This includes credit card companies, magazines, professional associations, etc. Having a bill lost in the mail could cause you to miss a payment, which isn't good for anyone. So make sure you let people know.
- Notify family and friends of your new address.
- Be sure to schedule your utility shut off for your current home so you won't continue to be charged. This may include water, garbage, electricity, or gas.
- Also be sure to schedule your utilities to be turned on at your new place so you can have running water and lights.
Ready to start your online mortgage application?